Monday, November 9, 2009

Together




I love this photo. It sums up so much, and has a lot of meaning for me because of the timing. When the photographer explained what she was going to do with this shot she gave us the choice of about 12 prop words she had on her. Something about the word "together" struck me. Had I been asked this same question weeks prior I probably would have chosen something else. But seeing as how I had just lost my job days prior to this picture...days prior to our wedding..."together" had a very strong meaning. No matter what, we'd get through this together. We work as a team. We support each other, NO MATTER WHAT.

I just started reading a book by Nancy Horan called "Loving Frank". It is the true story of the woman who had a whirlwind affair with the architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Early on in the novel, there is a short clip of a poem. Now, I've never been all that enlightened by poetry...oh sure, I went through that phase in my teenage years where I tried to write my own but that never lasted. This poem in the book struck me...hard. It was almost like I had the wind knocked out of me. This poem has given the photo, and that special day, and what's in store for the future even more meaning.

"Togetherness" by Reverend Garnett:

Together greet life's solemn real,
Together own one glad ideal.
Together laugh, together ache,
And think one thought - "Each other's sake"
And hope on hope - in new-world weather,
To still go on, and go together.

No comments: