Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Responsible Adulthood is Tiring

It's been less than 2 weeks since I returned to the real work force and I'm finding only one (BIG) thing extremely difficult: Balance. How does one find the energy to a) get plenty of sleep, b) work 8+ hours, c) remember to eat, d) feed the animals, e) keep the house clean, f) run necessary errands, g) pay bills, and h) show one's face to family and friends, or at least give a phone call.....all in a day? I suppose Adam's 10 day business trip to Australia isn't helping my ability to juggle, as the rhythm that we found during Week 1 has gone out the window.

Almost everyone in my department (a whole 6 people) has kids...how do they do it?! It's hard enough with a needy cat and energetic puppy. And how am I supposed to add on wedding-related tasks, and maintain my motivation to return to school somewhere down the line? Oh and not to mention that I still need to lose about 5 lbs before June - gym time? Right. I'm ready for bed by 8! And the donuts, candy and constant take out food at work isn't helping those few extra lbs or the energy factor!!

I used to give Adam crap for coming home and wanting to sit on his @$$ for a while. Now, I totally understand. The couch is my friend from 5 o'clock on. Throw in a glass of wine or a trashy tv show and I'm content for a while. oh sure, this isn't the case EVERY night - Monday we had puppy preschool and last night I went to a former co-workers house for a homemade meal. But it takes a LOT of motivation to leave the house again after coming home from work.

I don't ever remember being this tired when I was working + going to school, both full time, in Colorado Springs. But now I have a soon-to-be-husband & TWO animals running around, plus I've already started to bring work home (an inevitable part of the new job that I was well aware of when I accepted the offer!). I wouldn't change my circumstances now for anything, it's just all a big adjustment! I can only hope that things get a tad bit easier....Adam's return next week will certainly help, but there's a lot of personal, internal motivation that I still need to find. I'd start looking for it tonight but it's past 8, so I think it's time to hit the sack....

1 comment:

c|young said...

lol! welcome to the REAL world youve heard so much about. ;]

dont worry, after a couple of weeks of this, you start to get the hang of it and the balance thing just falls into place. before you know it youll figure out how to make dinner, play with the pets, call your mom, balance a plate on your head, a spoon on your nose, all while balancing on a bright red ball - oh, and all at the same time!

but for now, hitting the sack at 8 is normal, haha, once you hit your stride, youll be struggling to make it in before 11. enjoy it while it lasts!!!