Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The power of a magnet

When I started this blog, I secretly told myself I wouldn't use it to vent or even discuss wedding-related stuff. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of friends that are already sick of me talking about it, and we still have 11 months to go! But, I have to share the "wow" moment I had last week.


First, let me preface with some info: Since we got engaged in March, I've been very "now, now, now!" about getting things out of the way for this wedding. (I get the impatience from my father, and the determination from my mother.) We had wedding party members chosen and asked within weeks, and we booked the ceremony and reception site by June. We've booked the photographer, DJ, I already have my dress in my possession, and the favors have been decided on. Mom is even cranking out centerpieces (I can't complain she's doing them this early; seasonal items have to be bought NOW, and it keeps her out of my hair!). I also have several small items picked out, they just need to be ordered at this point (toasting glasses, etc.).


We've had brief moments where we just kind of stand there after signing another contract and think...are we doing this all too early? What else is out there to look at? Is there a cheaper price? More options out there somewhere? Don't get me wrong - we have done a TON of research before booking each vendor, and I've always gotten those "gut feelings" when we come to a decision, so I don't think we're making the wrong choices. Plus, doing things in advance has been great in terms of being able to pay things off before the wedding!


Something that I've realized with each contract that we sign is that I haven't been getting any of the overwhelming feelings that I was expecting...like "Holy $%&#, this is really happening". We just sign the paper, accept the fact that we have gone further into debt, and that is that. Conversations with friends and family about this wedding haven't phased me, either. I have two cousins currently engaged, both getting married in 2009 as well, and we talk about our weddings like it's planning a vacation. Even being added to Adam's Life & Health Insurance plan didn't help anything click in. These are all big items...life changing things...but really, it didn't make my day feel any different from the day before. So, who woulda thought that a business-card sized item would help bring in the shock factor??


Out of all of the choosing thus far, the Save the Dates were the easiest. Oh sure, we went back and forth with about 3 different templates, but we weren't debating between companies or prices or anything. The ordering process was so easy, and after 2 weeks in processing, they showed up at the front door last week. When I first saw the brown box - after answering the door to an Obama supporter going door-to-door - I really didn't think it was them. I thought the box was too plain to be holding the first tangible progress of this wedding that Adam and I alone had decided on and purchased. But sure enough, after reassuring this lady I already sent in my ballot and she didn't need to try to rope me in, I opened the box and there they were..150 magnets, envelopes, seals and return address labels crammed inside.

I promptly took a magnet out, reviewed it for correctness of course, and then stuck it on the fridge. And then I had my "wow" moment. Wow...I'm getting married..."Lenda" will be replaced with "Boyts"...and every previous conversation about "us" rather than "me" came into a brighter light of importance. These "wow"'s have been good "wow"'s...don't worry. I am very ready for this step forward, and more excited than I could have ever imagined. I just never thought it would take a magnet on the fridge to put everything into perspective and make it real.

No comments: