Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Here goes nothing!

I've had this blog up and running for...months? a year?...I have no idea. I didn't even know I had set one up until I stumbled upon it in my Google settings. So, why not give it a shot and see if I can keep it going? You all know I'm pretty good at venting, and this just might be a good outlet for that. Plus, all the cool people are doing it!

A little about where I am in my life now:
1 month from being the proud "mom" of a new puppy (can't wait!), 2 months from graduating with my Masters, 11 months from getting married, and too far away from going to nursing school (but I suppose I could take a break from school without protest). I am engaged to a wonderful man who gets me like no one else, and for that I know I am extremely fortunate.

Beyond frustration with work and bordem with school, nothing too exciting is happening currently. However, I would like to share an experience I had a few nights ago. Thanks to Facebook, I recently connected with a girl in Denver who has something in common with me: congenital heart disease. Most of you know that I have numerous health issues, and though they don't necessarily threaten my life every day, it's something that, in my mind, has always set me a part from everyone else. I've always been open about talking about it, but deep down, I know I'm "different". It was so nice to meet someone who could share that bond, yet we still know it doesn't define us. Anyway, she is an organizer for the local Adult Congenital Heart Disease Association group, which meets once a month. This past Sunday I finally attended a session, and WOW....It was incredible to meet individuals in their 60s, who have my same condition, and they're still fiesty as ever. They were treated by the pioneers in the field, the same doctors that developed the procedure that saved my life! Amazing! Anyway, I could go on and on, but what it came down to was, I got the swift kick in the @$$ that I needed. I haven't been to a cardiologist in 6 years, when I should have been going at least every other year. And now that I'm settling down, this disease affects more than just me. That's not to say that it didn't affect my immediate family, but now I'm looking down the road at marriage and kids and being able to help support my family....so NOW is the time to get back on track. I actually picked up the phone yesterday and contacted the ONLY Adult Congenital Heart clinic in the state, and left a message to make an appointment. I can reasonably expect everything to go well, but keep your fingers crossed for me anyway!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Huzzah!!!

c|young said...

got my toes crossed too ;]

Hilah said...

Hey Kim! Sounds like things are going well. That's great that you got to meet all those people at that meeting. I will be praying that everything goes well at the Dr.