There's something about wine...something so appealing and intimidating at the same time. It's romantic, and mysterious.
I started to enjoy wine - and by enjoy, I mean take the time to learn and remember the types and names - a little over a year ago. I think what really catapulted my enjoyment was a visit to Adam's aunt & uncle in Boulder. They had invited us over for dinner last fall, and of course being the very cultured people that they are, they had an amazing wine selection. Prior to our arrival they had selected a Malbec (type of grape) wine, and though we were unsure of what we were getting ourselves into, we weren't going to say no. Wine is wine, right? Wrong. Oh...my...goodness. Talk about a nearly-orgasmic wine experience (sorry for the images). So, I thought, this is what "knowing your wine" can do for you! That's right ladies...if you're single or your man isn't home...just pick up a bottle of Malbec wine!
I know so many people who refuse to try wine instead of their usual hangover-causing cheap well drink, or have had one "bad" experience and will never go back again. I guarantee I could refer a few great bottles and change their mind. OK, I'm not an expert, and I'm not trying to be a wine snob...I know I have much too much to learn before I reach that level, and to be honest, I don't WANT to reach that level. I certainly haven't dabbled in the expensive stuff (>$20), nor do I think I want to. In fact, some of my fav Pinot Grigios are under $10 -look for "Mommy's Time Out"...a great mother's day gift, or, get creative...I gave it to a lady I babysat for at her 1 year old's birthday party! She and all of her mommy friends LOVED it! And, I'm proof that you don't have to be a Mommy to enjoy it!
For me, what wine comes down to is it's simplicity and it's flexibility. You can drink it by itself, or pair it with whatever you're eating. I know many fancy restaurants will recommend specific kinds with a certain meal...screw that. For me, beyond the basic "red with beef, and white with chicken & seafood", I'm not about to get picky. Adam and I really enjoy opening up a bottle at the end of a hectic day and just settling in for a good movie (or Myth Busters) & a glass of "Insatiable". In fact, we've decided that for our honeymoon we will be visiting Napa Valley & Sonoma. Could it get any more romantic? Vineyards in the fall, wine cellars, and picnic lunches on wine tours.
Plain and simple, I don't have the time, patience, or the money to really become an expert. I simply want to know the basics, enough to make smart choices but not get obsessive. And yes, I'm going to continue to pick some bottles just because they have a cool label...it is amazing what you can find when you go that route! (Try "Bloom" or "Red Truck"...both cool labels, great wines.)
So, though I'm not about to spend hours researching proper wine tasting, let's just say I don't want to be clueless Jack when I'm in Napa....time to do some reading, and of course more tasting...
Jack: Man! That's tasty!
Miles: That's 100% pinot noir. Single vineyard. They don't even make it any more.
Jack: Pinot noir?
Miles: Mmm-hmm.
Jack: Then how come it's white?
Miles: [laughs] Oh, Jesus. Don't ask questions like that up in wine country. They'll think you're some kind of dumbshit, OK?
In Which I Come To A Conclusion...
12 years ago
1 comment:
great post! as a self-admitted alocholic and wine-obsessee i love it! however i must immediately and strongly disagree with you on one very important point. just say no to red truck. yuck! that is hands down the worst wine ive ever tasted! followed closely by reggea red. wow, talk about WAY too sweet...
now then, as an avid "cheap wine" taster, ill make a low-cost recommendation, heh, gato-negro. we've tried 3 or 4 different varieties of this stuff and theyve all been pretty amazing! retails at about $3.99 a bottle in ciny - not sure of its availability elsewhere. secondly is the little penguin. we've tried a few varieties of it as well and have yet to be disappointed. retails about $5.99 a bottle here, again not sure elsewhere - but if youre looking for an australian alternative to yellow-tail, this is it. also, ill just say flat-out that chilean wines never let me down. [yet] we've tried a couple and theyve all been wonderful. Now lastly, i have one more recommendation, our FAVORITE, but i wont post it here, heh, cant give away all my secrets to the world. youll have to ask me about it later. [seriously, there are two unopened bottles on my table at this very moment, we're trying to find it in bulk!]
keep it up, and cheers!
post.script: nice heads up on the malbec, we'll have to try that out immediately!
Post a Comment