I really swore to myself that I wasn't going to blog today - it's just another distraction from things I SHOULD be doing. But here I am. Couldn't focus on work. I think I took one too many puffs of Albuterol - shaky hands, racing mind, anxiety (apparently, all normal side affects according to the package insert). And the computer's inability to open my documents at the moment isn't helping.
Today I am going to dish out a piece of advice. Take it from me, people: NEVER work from home. I don't care if you are so dedicated that you shut off the TV every day, you avoid surfing the internet, and you never take breaks to escape for Starbucks or Q'doba...working from home is NEVER as productive as working on site. Oh sure, I guess if it was a company that had the resources to provide you with a solid connection to their server, quick fixes for phone issues, and if they were even a reliable source to begin with....it might be easier. But if it takes 15 minutes for word documents to save, and you have to cross your fingers that the computer won't freeze up this time, and you hope that the next time you pick up the phone it won't cut out every 3 seconds, then you certainly won't be productive...no matter how hard you try. And on those days where things REALLY go wrong, you will have no co-worker to vent with on a smoke break or a walk around the building. Instead, you'll end up venting to your cat, and you'll walk away even angrier because she isn't sympathizing with you.
Another negative to working from home - the munchies!! I never suffered from the Freshman 15. Rather, I am suffering from the Remote Worker 15. (You don't believe me? I had to order my wedding dress in a size TEN. I can only blame so much of that on my wide rib cage.) See, my work space is pretty much in the kitchen. It's far too easy to grab the pretzels, a Coke, or even the Halloween candy that we bought a month ago (we were totally in denial about not eating it before the 31st) while waiting for my computer to decide when to function properly. Ugh, damn you candy corn & Microsoft.
I would totally go work out, believe me! We are literaly 20 steps from the gym at our leasing office. Sure, I'll go sometime in between work, class, volunteering, homework, and job hunting. Oh and after my lungs clear up from this rediculous Reactive Airway Disease. Yeah, like I needed another "disease" to keep track of.
Speaking of disease, I suppose I should get back to work. And put away the candy. And shut off the TV. Oh look, my Word document isn't frozen anymore....
In Which I Come To A Conclusion...
12 years ago
3 comments:
Oh Kim, I can sympathize with the working from home thing...never actually worked from home, but often doing homework in the house can be unproductive for me. Also, the albuterol side effects are very normal. I've taken it since I was 6 and if you have to take too many puffs that happens...nebulizers do it really bad. Hope you feel better!
Thanks, Hilah! I can't do homework at home, either...I should have known that working from home wouldn't be much different.
Hey Kim - I found you through Chris Young's blog...he hyped you up, so I thought I'd check you out. Sounded like you and I could relate on some things. And Lo-and-Behold - we do! I work from home too...and it's terrible for so many reasons. Lol. For instance, I've sat at my computer for 6 hours today and probably only done 3 hours worth of actual work. And the 15lbs? Heck yeah. Except it's more like 20-25. Lol. I'm trying to get out to the gym so I can lose some, but then I get distracted by the outside world that I rarely see and don't want to come back home! Lol. TOTALLY relate.
Post a Comment